If you are registering for the first time in New Mexico, along with the form below, you must also submit a copy of
(1) a current and valid photo identification; or
(2) a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, student identification card or other government document, including identification issued by an Indian nation, tribe or pueblo that shows your name and current address.
If you do not submit one of these forms of identification with your mailed-in, first time registration, then you will be required to present one of the forms of identification when voting in person or absentee.
Deadlines to Register to Vote in NM
You must submit your NM voter registration information at least 28 days before an election. Your registration will be accepted until the Friday following the official deadline, but it must be dated or postmarked at least 28 days before the election.
Bureau of Elections 325 Don Gaspar, Suite 300 Santa Fe, NM 87503
New Mexico Specific Instructions:
6. ID Number. Your full social security number is required. This registration card containing your social security number will become part of the permanent voter registration records of your locality, which are open to inspection by the public in the office of the county clerk. However, your social security number and date of birth will remain confidential and will not be disclosed to the public.
Computerized listings of limited voter registration information (without social security number or birth date) are available to the general public, and are furnished upon request to incumbent election officeholders, candidates, political parties, courts and non-profit organizations promoting voter participation and registration, for political purposes only (§1-5-19B, NMSA 1978). 7. Choice of Party. You must register with a party if you want to take part in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
8. Race or Ethnic Group. Leave blank.
9. Signature. To register in New Mexico you must:
be a citizen of the United States
be a resident of the State of New Mexico
be 18 years of age at the time of the next election
Not have been denied the right to vote by a court of law by reason of mental incapacity and, if I have been convicted of a felony, I have completed all conditions of probation or parole, served the entirety of a sentence or have been granted a pardon by the Governor.
Mailing address: Bureau of Elections 325 Don Gaspar, Suite 300 Santa Fe, NM 87503